This post was edited on 12/1/23 to remove the timeline. See an updated timeline here.
The Broadband Deployment Board (BDB) typically runs two cycles per year; however, due to the nature of the sunset in September 2024 the BDB is not going to complete two full cycles before its expiration on September 30, 2024.
To compensate for not having two full cycles, staff is proposing one final cycle to take place with two reviews to ensure all remaining funds, including the High Cost Support Mechanism deposit scheduled for July, are awarded. A few key points:
- BDB staff will host a webinar on December 14, 2023 introducing the new cycle timeline.
- Application deadline is February 15, 2024.
- The BDB will operate under normal application review procedures, except for the following suggestions:
- If there are funds remaining after the award of grant funds, applicants not funded under the first cohort review will be invited to resubmit an updated application for a second cohort review in order to meet the Boards approval.
- Eligible resubmissions will be for applicants not meeting minimum requirements, with the exception of not meeting minimum requirement A.
- The Board will work with staff and the GIS team to re-review coverage data to determine if an update needs to be made.
- Staff are considering a request for Fabric ID locations in addition to the address list in order to better determine actual locations being submitted.
CBO Maps will be updated prior to the Application Window using data from the current FCC Broadband Data Collection and state and federal funding commitments. Unserved locations will be identified on the maps to ensure there is no overlap with other enforceable funding commitments. The draft timeline below is subject to approval by the BDB but we do invite comments on what this could look like. Any input or suggestions can be sent to email@example.com.
Staff is also eliciting feedback at the BDB 2024 Grant Cycle - Open Discussion on October 31, 2023 at 10:00 a.m. You can attend by using the following video link: https://meet.google.com/zpg-